Monday, October 8, 2012

Lovin' From the Oven's S'mores Cookie Bars

I checked planners again this week for Bakery Club and 4 of my 26 students qualified. Many students forgot to write down ALL their tests and quizzes for the week which is why BC's numbers are down this go 'round.

I asked the kids what they wanted this time (usually they are quite direct), but this time they were a bit more adventurous. I think that this is due to that fact that I made a combo brownie/cookie last time that they LOVED! I told them I had been scouring Pintrest for something yummy and "different" for them to try. They were excited to hear all of my choices, and finally settled on S'mores Cookie Bars.

This recipe comes from Lovin' from the Oven. The kids practically drooled when they heard this choice. So, Lovin' from the Oven, I'll have you know that your recipes aren't just yummy looking, but 6th Grade approved as well. Let me tell ya-- it takes A LOT to impress these guys ;)

I followed her recipe almost exactly... I will include a few tips and tricks that I used as well.

Give these a go-- they are super easy and yummy!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature (I'm a stickler for springing for "real and good" butter)
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (you can make your own using a food processor, or you can buy the box of graham cracker crumbs in the baking aisle for about $1-$2 less)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • pinch of all spice (just because I love it!)
  • 2 king size Hershey's chocolate bars
  • 1 1/2 cup marshmallow fluff
Directions:


  1. Butter and lightly flour 8x8 pan and set aside. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light.
  3. Add egg and vanilla and continue to beat until all ingredients are incorporated. 
  4. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, salt, and all spice.
  5. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredient, mixing until incorporated. (I use one of Doodle Bug's small plastic cups as a scoop-- easier to measure out dry ingredients when adding to wet)
  6. Split dough in half-- put 1/2 of dough in refrigerator while layering the bars. This will help the dough slightly cool and will make it easier to spread for the top layer. 
  7.  Spread 1/2 of dough into the greased 8x8 pan. 
  8. Place chocolate bars on top of the cookie dough. I had to trim one of the chocolate bars about 1/4-1/2 inch in order for them to both fit. You want a single layer-- and this layer should be no more and 1/4 inch thick.
  9. Spread marshmallow fluff on top of chocolate bars in a thin and even layer. 
  10. Lightly flour your clean kitchen counter top and take chilled dough out of refrigerator. Use floured rolling pin to help spread out cookie dough. Take pieces of dough and add them (like patchwork) to the top of the marshmallow cream. After all pieces are added you can easily and lightly press down on dough to flatten and make even. 
  11. Bake for 30 minutes until edges are slightly brown.
  12. Let cool completely before cutting. For easier cutting-- I put the cooled dish in the refrigerator for a few minutes to let the cookie bars firm up a bit! These are Ooey Gooey!!
Yield: 16 cookie bars
The finished product! Too  gooey for treat bags!

No comments:

Post a Comment